Department of Management Services
Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs)
In an award of retirement benefits in a Marital Settlement Agreement or Dissolution of Marriage, the FRS member's former spouse (Alternate Payee) is eligible to receive a portion of the member's FRS benefit. However, before an Alternate Payee can be awarded a benefit, a Qualified Domestic Relations Order, or QDRO, must be approved.
The Division of Retirement will approve a QDRO entered on a Pension Plan account and Aon Hewitt, the administrator of the Investment Plan, will approve a QDRO entered on an Investment Plan account.
Below is information intended to provide assistance in obtaining an approved QDRO in a timely manner. The instructions include steps to obtain an approved Pension Plan QDRO, a description of the payment process and contact information. Model QDRO's are available for use under the FRS Pension Plan.
|FRS Investment Plan|
For questions pertaining to the FRS Investment Plan contact the offices of Aon Hewitt at 866-446-9377 and select option 4.
- FRS Investment Plan QDRO Procedures Guide ( )
- FRS Investment Plan QDRO Instructions and Model Language Guide ( )
|FRS Pension Plan|
The Department of Management services has provided detailed instructions ( ) for establishing a QDRO.
In order to approve a QDRO, we will need the following information:
- The name, Social Security Number and birth dates of both the FRS Participant and the Alternate Payee. We have provided this form ( ) for your convenience, or you may contact us.
- A certified copy of the final judgment and marital settlement agreement, which can be obtained by contacting the Clerk of Court in the county in which you were divorced.
- The divorce estimate from the Bureau of Retirement Calculations.
- A model QDRO completed for review.
The Department of Management Services has provided a checklist ( ) for your convenience.
The model QDROs differ from each other depending on several factors. Therefore, please select the appropriate response below: